Correct installation and usage will increase their quality, performance and life time. The following is the installation notes of PVC windows and doors:
Window & Door Opening Clearance
Window/door opening clearance is the precondition to harmonize construction program and the design, manufacturing, installation of windows&doors as well as their hardware and accessories. It plays an important role in the commercialization of windows and doors. According to the prescription in the window/door manufacturing standard, width and height of opening clearance usually uses 3 as radices. For example, window&door clearance is usually 600mm,900mm,1200mm,1500mm and 1800mm.
Installation method of UPVC windows and doors is different from that of wood, steel and aluminum windows and doors. Filling the gap between window& door frame and wall is usually implemented after the installation work is done. UPVC windows and doors can not be installed while laying brick or before forming the opening space in case of window/door frames are bumped broken or scratched or mortar goes into the aperture of glazing bead and glass. So when installing UPVC windows and doors, opening for window & door should be reserved first to increase the efficiency of the work. The exterior measurement of windows and doors is usually 20mm30mm less then opening space. In this way, gap between frame and wall is 10mm15mm.
Installation Methods of UPVC Windows & Doors
There are three ways that window & door frame combining wall as following:
- Fake frame : Firstly make a 3mm thick galvanized frame in the shape of ڡ according to measurement of certain window or door. Fix the frame firmly into the wall with bulge head screw. After decoration is finished, start installing windows&doors. Underlay the window&door and make necessary adjustment thus make sure of the perpendicularity and levelness of window/door and fix the item. Foam sealant and water-resistant sealant should be used after the item is fixed so that problem of water leakage could be well prevented. This installation method could effectively avoid window&door frame from bumping and scratching and enhance efficiency however, it is rather costly as another metal frame’fake frame’ is used.
- Metal parts : Window frame is connected and fixed into the wall by metal part. Firstly fix metal part into the frame with tapping screw, then position window into its corresponding opening clearance. Window is to be installed by fixing the metal parts onto the wall. When using metal parts to install windows, attention should be paid to that screw that fixes metal to window frame should go through the steel reinforcement in the main cavity of UPVC profile or at least through the profile, otherwise, stability of window in the wall and its performance can not be assured.
- Direct fixing : Put the window&door into the wall opening directly. Underlay the window&door and make necessary adjustment thus make sure of the perpendicularity and levelness of window/door and fix the item with bulge head screw and fixing plate. Foam sealant and water-resistant sealant should be used after the item is fixed so that problem of water leakage could be well prevented. This installation method is quite easy, efficient, cost-saving and not time-consuming.
Steps of Installation
1.Preparation before installation
- Before installing UPVC windows& doors, opening space should be reserved; wood, brick or metal should be underlaid if necessary; surface of the wall should be roughly efface flat. Installing while constructing the opening space is not allowed.
- Clear up the openings, with residues removed and ashes cleaned.
- Put the windows & doors to their corresponding openings vertically. If the protective films are broken, re-stick the same kind films(with the purpose of keeping windows & doors clean). To avoid profile contamination and rainwater seepage and leakage, never wrap any other colorful plastic packing materials on the window/door frames.
- Check the width, height of the opening and see if it is right angle at four corners. If not, make necessary adjustment.
- Gap between window/door frame and wall opening is 10mm15mm.
- Check before installing if there is any crack or damage to profile, hardware loose, shed off of airtight strips etc.
- Install the window frame before rendering the opening .
2.Steps of installing windows and doors
- Fixing window/door with bulge head screw or fixing plate. Distance between bulge head screw or fixing plates and frame end is 150mm~200m. Adjacent distance of two should be less than 600mm.
- Put window&door vertically and carefully into its corresponding opening clearance. Check its perpendicularity and levelness, inset chocks or cushions where necessary, mainly at the juncture of two adjacent parts or middle point to avoid deform of windows and doors from heavy weight. Fix frame into wall with screws, colloidal particles and steel nails but at this moment they should not be fixed too tight. After rechecking and readjusting the perpendicularity and levelness of the window&door, give a good screw to fix the item tightly. Then make a rough checking of the window sash or door panel and see if their opening and closing is fluent and flexible, if any rebound, warp and deform occur.
- The surrounding gap between frame and wall should be well filled and sealed with foam sealant and water-resistant sealant (It is better to sprinkle some water to the wall in which way foam sealant could more effectively stick to the wall.) The gap should be filled full with foam sealant and water-resistant sealant, however, its thickness should not exceeed that of wall to avoid water leakage.
- Gasket should be used for fixing glass at proper position. Thickness of glass gasket varies from 3mm to 5mm. Glass glue should be used to stabilize gasket and protect glass from moving
- Then comes to glazing bead. Firstly take a measurement of the glazing bead and make sure that it is of the correct length. Fix glazing bead with rubber hammer, metal hammer or other hard stuff is not allowed to punch the glazing bead. Shorter glazing beads should be fixed before longer ones.
- Make a comprehensive checking after installation is finished. Open and close the window/door repeatedly and clear up the window/door surface and glass before acceptance.
- During the whole process, metal tools, hard stuff or bricks should not be used to knock and adjust window/door. Rubber hammer is highly recommended where adjustment is necessary.
- Rigidity and strength of UPVC windows&doors should be taken into consideration during the process of transport and installation. To avoid the windows&doors deformation or damage, not allowed to emplace false work on the window/door frame or sash, suspend heavy stuffs or sling stuffs by fastening them on the frame or sash.
- Mortar should not plug up drainage hole. Protective film should stay there to protect window/door from damaging and dirty. Should there any motor sticks to profile, get it wet with some water then mop up with a wet cloth. Sand paper and metal shovel are not allowed to get the motor away.
Checking and Acceptance
- Designated personnel implement selective checking or general checking and acceptance.
- Construction unit should do self-checking of window/door style, specification according to the drawing and contract both parties agreed after installation is finished. No random change is allowed.
- There should be no crack or broken on UPVC profiles, otherwise, change should be done
- Perpendicularity and levelness of windows and doors should be guaranteed. Frame should be fixed into the wall firmly and gap between frame and wall should be well filled. Check that drainage holes are at proper position and cover is there
- Window/door surface should be clear, even, no feculence, scratch or damage.
- Hardware should be complete, properly positioned, firmly fixed to provide window sash could close tightly and there is equal aperture. It can open and close very fluently. When it is closed, there is no warp and rubber sealant is compressed. Sliding window could slide flexibly, no obstacle in its way
- Glazing bead should be straight, even and not loose. Glass should be clean, no feculence. Inside and outside of double glass should be clean, no dust and water vapor in between two panes of glass.
Main Indexes of UPVC Windows & Doors Checking and Acceptance
- Two diagonals of window/door frame:Diagonal less than 2m long, tolerance +Diagonal more than 2m long, tolerance +4mm
- Width/height tolerance:less than 2m long, tolerance +2mmmore than 2m long, tolerance +2.5mm
- Window&door surface: clean, even, flat, no feculence, scratch, crack in welding points or damage.
- Hardware: complete, properly positioned, firmly fixed to provide flexible operation and good performance.
- Rubber sealant: even touch between rubber sealant and glass. When window&door is close, it should be in the condition of being compressed. There is no obvious aperture.
- Glazing bead: gap at the juncture of corners should less than 1mm. Glass is firmly and safely compressed and no warp is allowed in the middle of long glazing bead.
- Drainage hole: properly positioned, not stifled and cover should be there.
- Integral window&door: flexible and fluent open and close. No obstacle or rebound. No warp or deform. Excellent combination.
Difference of Bulge Head Screw and Fixing Plate
- UPVC windows& doors is a new kind of windows and doors. The installation quality of UPVC windows and doors will directly affect their performance, like sound-insulation, heat-preservation, and water-tightness. So the manufacturing and assembling of UPCV windows&doors should at least comply with the manufacturing standard. In addition, installation quality is also a critical subject that needs special attention. Now we come to the difference and usage of two kinds of installation tool: Bulge Head Screw and Fixing Plate.
Install with Bulge Head Screw
- There are two kinds of bulge head screw with the specification of 10900mm and 10120mm. The screw is punched into the wall through window&door exterior frame. In this way, windows& doors could be firmed fixed.
- Install with bulge head screw is very fussy, time-consuming and labour-consuming especially there is top lights or side lights as glass at the fixing part should be take off before fixing the frame. This will undoubtedly increase work for installers. Whats more, water-resistance is rather bad in this way, especially to punch bulge head screw into the bottom frame. When cleaning window&door at home or office, water can leak into the frame and wall easily along with the screw. So water-resistance property of the whole window&door is largely deteriorated.
- As water-resistance of window&door is deteriorated using bulge head screw to install, especially when the screws erode seriously, firmness of the window&door in the wall and its performance will be directly affected, so we recommend the method of using fixing plate on exterior window&door
Install with Fixing Plate
- Fixing plate is fixed into the two sides of the wall with tapping screw (425mm). It does not make any damage to frame and not affect decoration while firmly fix the window&door into the wall.
- After fixing plate is screwed into the wall, foam sealant and water-resistant sealant are used to fill the gap between frame and wall which can well solve the problem of water leakage. It is an easy way of installing windows &doors. It is quite suitable for exterior window&door installation.